Day 1: From Darkness to Sun, Moon, and Stars
*There are 5 activities for this day’s lesson. Feel free to choose one or two of the activities OR spread them out across several days.
- Bible (I like the NirV)
- Children’s Bible (I’m using the Say & Pray Bible for this lesson)
- Activity #1: Flashlight, candle, stuffed animals
- Activity #2: Yellow ball, white pingpong ball, flashlight, candles, sunglasses
- Activity #3: 3 sponges, scissors, shape cookie cutters (circle, crescent, star) optional, paper, fingerpaint
- Activity #4: Various children’s books (with pictures of sun, moon, or stars), sticky notes, cut TP tube
- Activity #5: Glowing stars, foam stars, pillows
Day 1: Lesson
- Find sticker of what God made: Sun, Moon, Stars
- Open Bible to Genesis 1:3-5, 14a, and 15-17. Ask if child wants to touch God’s Word. Touch gently. Then, read the verses.
- God made the sun. God is good! Clap and cheer for God.
- God made the moon. God is good! Clap and cheer for God.
- God made the stars. God is good! Clap and cheer for God.
Children’s Bible Reading: Open Say & Pray Bible.
- Find the sun in the picture!
- Is it daytime or nighttime? (daytime)
Activity #1: Night and Day – Dark and Light
- Say “dark” when dark, turn on a light and say, “God said, ‘Let there be light!’”
- When it’s dark at night, we sleep. Sing for stuffed animals (Tune: Baa Baa Black Sheep) Night-night, little ______, God loves you. He watches over you all night through.
- When it’s light during the day, we wake up! Sing with stuffed animals (Tune: Pop! Goes the Weasel) Down inside the hollow log, the baby ______’s sleeping. The _____ likes to take a nap. Sleep! Little _____. Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!
- Put animals to sleep and then wake up (Tune: Are You Sleeping?) Are you sleeping? Are you sleeping? Little _____? Little _____? Listen to our singing, listen to our singing Wake up, _____! Wake up, _____!
Activity #2: Sun Motion and Moon Reflection – Sun and Moon
- Lift yellow ball high and low – sun rises and sets. Add flashlight to show the bright sun. Put on sunglasses to protect against bright sun.
- Hold yellow ball with flashlight in one hand, ping pong ball in other hand. Talk about the moon reflecting the light of the sun.
- Like the moon reflecting the sun’s light, we reflect God’s light.
- Sing “This Little Light of Mine” in dark room waving candles around, or sing song with motions.
Activity #3: Sponge Stamping Craft – Sun, Moon, and Stars
- Prep: Cut one sponge into a circle shape. Cut another sponge into a moon crescent shape. Cut another sponge into a star shape (or use a star cookie cutter).
- Stamp orange sun onto paper with sponge. Stamp a blue moon to the paper. Add stars.
Activity #4: Book Peeking – Sun, Moon, and Stars
- Prep: Gather books from around the house that have pictures of the sun, moon, or stars. Place a sticky note to mark each page to find quickly during the activity.
- Peek at sun pictures in books (through shortened TP tubes) while speaking/singing: Oh, Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun. Shine your light on me. Oh, Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun. God has made you bright!
- Peek at moon pictures in books while speaking poem: I see the moon, and the moon sees me. God bless the moon, and God bless me.
- Peek at stars pictures in books while speaking poem: Star light, star bright. First star I see tonight. I know that God in all His might. Has made the stars I see tonight.
Activity #5: Find the Stars- Stars
- Sing new version of “Twinkle Twinkle” with motions: Twinkle Twinkle little star (sparkle fingers) How I wonder what you are (sparkle fingers) Up above the world so high (point up) Like a diamond in the sky (form diamond with hands) Twinkle Twinkle little star (sparkle fingers) God has made you what you are! (sparkle fingers)
- Look at glowing stars in a dark room, or hide foam stars in a pile of pillows and find them while singing.
Closing: Colossians 1:16, He created everything in heaven and on earth. God made the Sun, Moon, and Stars! Clap and cheer for God.