Day 5: The Wisemen go to Bethlehem
*There are 3 activities for this day’s lesson. Feel free to choose one or two of the activities OR spread them out over several days! :)
- Bible (I like the NirV)
- Children’s Bible (I’m using the Say & Pray Bible)
- Activity #1: 3 squares of tin foil, Bag/small backpack, 10 paper stars (I stuck star stickers onto sticky notes), Obstacle course (pillows to climb over, tables or chairs to crawl under, stools to step up on, things to walk around)
- Activity #2: Butcher paper, Painter’s tape, Sticky notes, Sharpie
- Activity #3: Dry erase markers, Paper towel
Day 5: Lesson and Activities
- Open Bible to Matthew 2:1-2, 9-11. Ask if child wants to touch God’s Word. Touch gently. Then, read the verses.
- Prep: Prepare an obstacle course and place stars along the path.
- Wrap up 3 “gifts” in tin foil to bring to Jesus – put them in a bag to carry as you go on your journey
- Make a path of stars through the house with an obstacle course.
- Follow the stars and complete the obstacle course to find gift of baby Jesus – give him the 3 “gifts” you wrapped up.
- (Tune: Twinkle Twinkle) Twinkle twinkle little star – guiding us so far, far, far Leading us right to the king – celebrate and sing, sing, sing Twinkle twinkle little star – guiding us so far, far, far
- Prep: Hang a large sheet of butcher paper to the wall. Draw shapes on it (make sure to include stars). Katelyn helped color on the butcher paper (we did it the day before we did the lesson). She loves coloring, and it was a good opportunity to have her practice self-control. Before bringing out the markers, I told her, “The wall is NO. The floor is NO. The paper is YES.” Then I modeled for her (drawing the shapes), monitored her drawing, and reinforced the rule when necessary. She did very well with it! (20 months old)
- Also to prepare: Draw shapes on sticky notes to match what you’ve drawn on the butcher paper (one shape per sticky note).
- Have the child match up the sticky notes to the same shapes on the butcher paper.
- Prep: Draw shapes on glass door or window with dry erase marker – make sure to include stars!
- Have child identify different shapes and erase them with a paper towel. I only drew stars but made them different colors and had Katelyn find and erase different colored stars.
Closing: Luke 2:15, Let us go to Bethlehem. Follow and find Jesus!
Extension: I kept the star sticky notes from the obstacle course and hid them around the room during Katelyn’s naptime. When she woke up, she had fun finding all of them, and we lined them up along the step.