Day 4: Jesus is Lost
*There are 4 activities for this day’s lesson. Feel free to choose one or two of the activities OR spread them out over several days! :)
- Bible (I like the NirV)
- Children’s Bible (I’m using the Say & Pray Bible for this lesson)
- Activity #1: Small doll
- Activity #2: Sheet of paper, Animal stickers, Sheet protector, Dot stickers
- Activity #3: uncooked rice, plastic bin, Muffin tin, 12 small animals (that fit in muffin tin sections) – or pompoms!, Measuring spoons
- Activity #4: uncooked rice, plastic bin, Foam ABC puzzle
Day 4: Lesson and Activities
- Open Bible to Luke 2:47-48a. Ask if child wants to touch God’s Word. Touch gently. Then, read the following story and verses. When Jesus was 12 years old, his family went to Jerusalem for the Passover Feast. After the feast, His parents left to go home. They thought Jesus was in their group, so they traveled for a day. But they looked for Jesus and couldn’t find Him! Jesus was lost! They went back to Jerusalem. Jesus was in the temple courtyard sitting with the teachers. He was listening and asking questions. Read Luke 2:47-48a.
- Open Say & Pray Bible. Read story and look at pictures of young Jesus.
- Prep: Hide small doll somewhere in the room (so it can’t be seen).
- Jesus is lost! Give child clues one by one where to look.
- Is Jesus behind the pillow? Child looks. No! Jesus is lost!
- Is Jesus under the couch? Child looks. No! Jesus is lost!
- After doing several, guide your child to find Jesus. Jesus is found!
Activity #2: Dot Sticker Animal Hide and Seek
- Prep: Put animal stickers all over paper. Place the paper inside a sheet protector (so the dot stickers will come off easier) — I did not do this but wish I had! The dot stickers actually peeled off parts of the animal stickers. ;)
- Give dot stickers to child to “hide” a specific animal you designate
- Once all are “hidden,” peel off the dot stickers to find them again
- Sing (Tune: Are You Sleeping?) Where is the ____? Where is the ____? He’s lost, lost, lost! He’s lost, lost, lost! Look and we will find him. Look and we will find him. There he is! There he is!
- Place a small animal in each section of muffin tin. Give child a measuring spoon and have them bury each animal in rice. (After we were done with the activity, Katelyn started putting pompoms in the rice, so we did the activity again burying the pompoms. It was
- Sing (Tune: Are You Sleeping?) Where are the animals? Where are the animals? They’re lost, lost, lost! They’re lost, lost, lost! Dig and we will find them. Dig and we will find them. It’s a _____! It’s a _____!
- Prep: Bury foam alphabet letters in plastic bin filled with rice.
- Jesus learned from the teachers at the temple. You are always learning and growing, too!
- Have child find the letters and put them back in the foam puzzle.
Closing: Luke 2:40, The child grew and became strong. Jesus was “lost,” but He was growing in His knowledge and wisdom of God!